Front Page

THE HOUSE OF MUSIC

 

The slow, sometimes staggered, and tilted development of the Lake Geneva area is becoming more apparent as time passes. The virus has not run its course, as of this writing, but it has been put into abeyance and into a ‘back seat’ if you will, because of the success of the vaccinations. Many people in Walworth County are vaccinated, as of this writing. Running at 42 percent vaccinated, however, the county of Walworth is number 64 out of 72 counties getting the shots. Only the very most conservative counties up in the northern part of the state have fewer vaccinated citizens. The bad news is that that leaves 58% of Walworth people susceptible to the new more powerful and deadlier variation of the virus. The good news is that the people who are exposed have a choice in whether they want to be in that exposed group or not, while the incidence of the virus and its terminal effects is becoming available all over the Internet and television news.

Lake Geneva is hopping, however, just like it did back in 2019 (and even 2020 because of few lockdowns and closures as Illinois was locked down…and the people coming up from Chicago who got the virus in Walworth County went back home where they were purported to have gotten the virus there!). There is only a trace of masks being worn now and no distancing visible at all during hot and crowded weekend days and nights.

Consequently, business is recovering mightily and places like House of Music are taking off. The House puts on concerts in its flimsy outdoor bandstand, and the noise from the rock groups playing reverberates up and down the shallow valley the House of Music sits in. The place is located right off Highway H to the west, just as one crosses the property lines separating Lake Geneva from the Town of Geneva. The place is doing a great business, as hundreds come for the performances (Cashmere and Queen tribute bands played last week), and this business is done without the serving of alcohol. There have been no altercations and no police complaints that have come out of the performances.

Nearby, there are a few residents further down the valley who live (not especially close to the House property), so the GSR sent reporters out to canvas the neighborhood to see what the residents thought. Rock bands playing into the night can be a definite problem if the sound is too loud and objectionable. The results were surprising. Of the 27 homes called on physically (yes, we went out to each home and knocked or rang the doorbell), six were homes where nobody was there. Of the 21 with residents, all answering their doors, 19 were in favor of the music and two were so in favor that they call friends to come to their homes when there are going to be performances so they can all enjoy the ‘show’ together.

The results were surprising because the two phone complaints the GSR got were vehement in their feelings about the music being so loud it would not allow them to sleep, disturbed their dogs, and required them to keep their windows closed. Those two complainants were not home to receive our inquiring X-Files investigators. The House of Music is also doing some work to support the cause of damaged or abandoned children. The rate for attending the shows has also been so reasonable it’s almost unbelievable. Thirty-five bucks has been the going rate. That may change as the House gains notoriety and more big-name bands book the bandstand. The owner of the House of Music is also a great guy. The police department (anonymously) indicated that the Force likes the owner and the House of Music, which is a big endorsement for everyone living around this place and also living in the surrounding communities. The House is a place for young people, not just to play, but to go and meet their peers and hang out without the influence of alcohol.

Sign up for Updates